Our Support Systems





Man, this blog is truly helping me stay connected to this artistic community I am a part of and I've been receiving tons of friend requests on Facebook and people reaching out, sending pieces they have written, and calling and all sorts of great shit.

One thing I wanted to mention is how great our support systems are.

What's most ironic is the people we rely on for help the most are the ones that we have traumatized the most as well. There's never any glory for them. I get to change my life and get sober and feel a difference. My partner gets to feel like she made a terrible life mistake staying with me for this long and will almost assuredly be disappointed again and again forever.

We can never truly thank them and give them the support they need to get through this as well.

How someone I have lied to and mistreated for years can pass me the ketchup from across the table and not say "Here is the ketchup you fucking junkie whore" is beyond me. It takes strength and love to do that and is not ever rewarded the way that an addict's behavior is.

The point is, we don't get better alone. We have people who support us.

If you know someone who is supporting a person going through this kind of thing, send them a note. Let them know that they are seen and that you are proud of them too!

-A


P.S. If you want to write a piece for this blog, send it to recoveryintheatre@gmail.com
Thanks for all the pieces that have been sent already! They'll be up soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do You Eat an Elephant? (and other bullshit riddles)

No Drinking After Rehearsals=Everyone is Suspicious - Steve

I Never Drink Alone So I Am Never Alone- Neva