Recovery In Theatre

I need to find a way to stay sober.

I work in theatre and I spend most of my time in theaters and with actors and designers in Chicago.

Chicago famous for it's theatre scene, but also for the incredible amount of partying that happens after the show is over.

I find very often that staying sober in our world involves a few different steps that are almost always the same for everyone in this situation.

The first step is continuing to get loaded and embarrassing ourselves. 

Second, apologizing and exploring the possibility of not drinking or drugging ever again.

Third, trying to find others who are going through the same thing.

Fourth, being to embarrassed to talk to others and giving up.

Fifth, getting loaded and embarrassing ourselves again.

And then this continues for eternity until we die in the streets like someone in a play that we can't get cast in because we showed up drunk to the audition.

For my sobriety, and hopefully for some others, I'd like to create a space for us to talk about the stigmas and challenges related with sobriety in this community.

I'd like to ask you to submit pieces of writing that you think may be helpful to addicts, friends of addicts or people thinking about becoming addicts so that we can continue to grow and change and become stronger as a place to make art and to support our family.

If you would like to write a piece, please email it to recoveryintheatre@gmail.com and I will put it up. If you just need help or are willing to help others, email me about that as well.

Thanks.



Comments

  1. I think you're an incredible human being and I love you. Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Do You Eat an Elephant? (and other bullshit riddles)

No Drinking After Rehearsals=Everyone is Suspicious - Steve

I Never Drink Alone So I Am Never Alone- Neva